Now you’re probably thinking, what do cannolis have to do with Greek food?
“Mia fatsa, mia ratsa” or “Una fatsa, una ratsa” are a saying that the Greeks and Italians have used with each country for many years. This quote means, “one face, one race”. Greek and Italians have many similarities with one another especially when it comes to the cultures and traditions.
A couple of weeks ago I was testing to make cannolis from scratch and my recipe didn’t go as planned. I rolled the cannolis out, the dough felt great and once I put them in the fryer they fell apart! Now I didn’t want to waste all of this beautiful dough, so since the cannoli shells were cut out in circles already I thought why not pop them into the oven and see what happens. They turned into amazing sandwich cookies, thin and crunchy!
So yes, I made up this recipe from another that had failed, but isn’t that how all amazing recipes come together??
Here is the recipe below for the cookies and filling!
– Ingredients for the shells –
3 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp shortening
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweet red wine
– Ingredients for the filling –
4 cups ricotta cheese, strained well
2- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Mini chocolate chips
– Directions –
1. In a big mixing bowl combine the flour with the butter and shortening until in resembles crumbs. Make sure the butter and shortening are cold.
2. Add in the sugar, cinnamon and mix.
3. Next add in the eggs, vanilla and wine and combine until a dough forms. If the dough is a bit sticky add a little bit of flour.
4. Roll the dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
5. You can cut these into whatever shapes you want, but I used a circle cookie cutter. Divide the dough and roll it out pretty thin about 1/4 of an inch. Bake in a 400° oven for 8-10 minutes or until the bottom begin to become golden brown.
6. Let the cookies cool completely.
For the Filling:
1. In a bowl combine the ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and mini chocolate chips.
2. Using a piping bag or just a spoon take 2 cookies, put the filling on one of them and then sandwich them.